Wednesday, 26 May 2010

oh em gee life

     Okay, stealing from my professional blog, then elaborating a bit ....
     So.  After a twenty-some-odd-hour drive, I'm now in Colorado!  It wasn't that bad, actually.  Evan and I had a good time listening to obscure music and watching youtube videos.  Currently, I'm living life as a reluctant vagrant with my cousins, who've graciously granted me houseroom in exchange for helping babysit their kids.  I have to say, it's not a bad deal, although I'm a little amazed by how exhausting a five- and seven-year-old can be.  It also cements my conviction that I don't want children.
     Between looking for a grownup Career, I've been trying to satisfy my artistic side (the side that gets over-excited by hot glue guns and sticks of charcoal and holga cameras).  I've been applying for In the Meantime Jobs at coffeeshops, photo studios, and bakeries.  That one bakery wasn't hiring but didn't tell me until after I came in and talked to the assistant manager for two hours.  Awesome.
     I know working at Starbucks isn't using my collegiate degree ... but neither is not working at all ... and at least Starbucks has good benefits .....
      What I need is a job fair.  I'm finding this paperless, personless means of internet job-hunting a bit too sterile.  I need firm handshakes and faces.  It's like the difference between an e-card and a love letter.  There's something missing.
      Call me old-fashioned.

     I've lately been inspired to dig out my year-old portfolio, blow the metaphorical dust off of it, and take a stab at doing some serious revising.  That's mostly thanks to Becky and Kelly Link :)

     On another note - it's really, really weird trying to convince myself that I'm not just here on an extended vacation (the sunny, breezy weather and the sheer idiot joy at getting to see my boyfriend in person contributes to the holiday feeling).  But I'm here indefinitely.  I think it'll be easier to digest once I move into a place of my own and stop being a hobo.  One of the hardest thing about being a guest in someone else's house is not being able to do what I want for meals.  Not knowing what I'm allowed to eat and not knowing someone else's meal-schedule.  I also hate not knowing what to do with my dirty dishes.  Leave them in the sink?  Put them right in the dishwasher?  I don't know!  Very distressing.
     Can't wait to have a job and a place of my own.

p.s. There are things in Colorado called Abert's squirrels ... they're, like, the size of cats.  I'm trying to decide if this is awesome or horrifying.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I hate that squirrel. I have no reason to hate that squirrel, but I do... a lot.

I made a strawberry tart yesterday (but used skim milk for the custard... so the setting did not happen... which left me with something not unlike custard, if custard were a liquid and full of powdered sugar, added in a ridiculous attempt to counter the lack of fat as a thickening agent). I guess what I'm saying is, if asked, while applying for a job at a bakery that is hiring new people, and you are then required to take a written/verbal/on-the-job test, involving custard, and you are asked "why can you not make custard with skim milk?", you should respond with, "what because it gets all gloopy and makes a mess of everyone's shoes".

Lady Calluna said...

That squirrel has funny ears. And that made me ridiculously happy for some reason. Thanks for the laughter.

Post a Comment