Tuesday, 8 April 2008

Oooh, this spice rack has cardamom!

          This happens to me every once in a while. I suddenly and inexplicably am struck with the sudden desire to be out of here - done with school, living in my own space, working, writing, being a part of the real world. I want to know what life is like outside of the protective bubble of college. How do you meet people? When you move to a new city (lacking that safety net called a residential campus), how do you make friends? Having a social life, while never easy, will suddenly take a whole lot more effort. I want to put together a budget, despite my almost chronic fear of finances and paperwork. I'm excited to paint walls, hang up photos, scour thrift stores for semi-matching sets of silverware.
          I want to make someplace my own, original and quirky. I think part of this is a desire to be a complete, thinking, adult person. I think there's a link in my mind between being an interesting, independent woman and having an interesting, unique home - there's a parallel. If my house is quirky and cozy and clean and bright and welcoming, it must follow that I am, too. It's like choosing an outfit to reflect (or create?) your personality, but on a slower, larger, altogether more expensive scale. Or you could argue that this is yet another example of my housewifeliness, I suppose. I am embarrassingly excited to pick out paint and dishes and towels and clocks and saucepans. I fill up with ideas to sew pot-holders and curtains and quilts and aprons and placemats. Whisks and blenders make me go all weak in the knees. Don't talk to me about loveseats. Or lamps.
          Yes, I realize I'm a hopeless and incurable dork.

          I think the allure (however imagined or foolishly naive) is the simplicity of being domestic. It isn't hard to make scrambled eggs or a cake. Vacuuming, though tedious, does not present a huge mental dilemma. The idea of a house - tiny, old, worn, its corners gone soft and rounded - seems so perfect to me. Simple, a space I can fill, a nook. Safe, close, known and familiar.
          While a lot of the women I know dream about things like achieving gender equality, ending poverty, opening businesses, even things as banal (but classic) as being in famous rock bands, or planning their weddings, I fantasize about my future house. It isn't all I think about or hope to achieve, of course, but it's been lately occupying a lot of my mental downtime. Hardwood floors, white cotton curtains, an indoor tree strung with Christmas lights acting as a floor lamp, a wood-burning fireplace ... blankets and pillows in bright colors strewn about everywhere, photos of (and taken by) friends and family in simple wooden frames, books everywhere ... a light and open kitchen, uncooked pasta in jars, a turtle Chia Pet growing herbs on the windowsill, an old wooden table for elaborate meals or cups of coffee or fondue, fresh cut flowers in an old glass bottle ... a guest bedroom themed around a solar-system clock I found, kitschy and odd and mismatched ...

          Yes, I know; we've already established that I'm a loser.

          Maybe it's stupid to focus so much on something that only exists, so far, on the interior of my head. Well, there's no "maybe" about it. It is.
          But a home is important. And, believe me, I know that home is more than the physical trappings, more than the walls and floors and rugs and light switches. But maybe it's the starting point. I want to have somewhere, a physical space where I can start building memories. An anchor. The foundation.
          Maybe it's a reaction to the collegiate "homelessness." You don't really belong anywhere, and all your homes are only temporary, constantly shuffling around, packing up and moving out - they're just untils. Here until the end of break. Here until next year. Until. I want to be done with untils.
          Even though it still terrifies me, even though I still have a lot to learn, even though I'm not prepared for it, though I'll probably be eaten alive by it ... I think I'm ready for life to start.

          Maybe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's anything wrong or weird about wanting a place of your own. Quite frankly, that's one of the only downsides I can think of about going to Rome and Beijing. I'll have to live in dorms for another year instead of getting an apartment of my own. I plan out how I'm going to decorate my apartment/house all the time. Do you need physical proof? I bought a table. :-) Don't worry. You're more normal than you think. Or maybe I'm just insanely weird, too. It's probably that. We're both insanely weird together, and that makes it ok. I love you!
Becky

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your future house. And come over for dinner sometimes. And eat fondue and watch Fred Astaire movies and drink fine wine and talk about our jobs and stuff. It's going to be amazing.

I love you like two things that love you and I miss you like...about sixteen things that miss you.

Love love.
Molly

Post a Comment