Friday, 15 January 2010

Apparently I'm very link-happy tonight.

          So. Life is very full at the moment, but not in any significant way. It's just busy and stressful. One could use the term "bustling," but that implies some sort of cheery purpose. Which is distinctly inappropriate at the moment.
          My house is in the process of being cleaned up and packed for its forthcoming addition to the housing market. My mother is going crazy over it. "It's so messy!" she cries, taking aspirin to relieve her high-blood-pressure-induced headaches while she sorts through more stuff she's saved over the years. Boxes, long dormant in the basement, have erupted their mystifying contents all over floors and counters. The trunk of my van has filled up with miscellaneous junk that I've been charged to take to the thrift store.
          I recently found an old, purple, plastic locket that transforms into a purple, plastic bear. Toys in the early nineties were apparently worthless unless they also transformed into something else.
          You know, for being such a tomboy as a child, I played with intensely girly toys - I had Polly Pockets and Littlest Pet Shop pets and Barbies and Care Bears. There is currently an entire suitcase full of My Little Ponies moldering in my basement. And two giant tubs of Beanie Babies. And an American Girl doll. And a box of dress up clothes (which, hilariously enough, includes some 100% polyester clothing my parents wore in the sixties and seventies).
          However, let me salvage some dignity, and mention that I also found a bunch of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles paraphernalia, and some old Ghostbusters toys. Oh, yes, my brothers and I had proton packs, and that trap you roll out and the doors open and suck up the ghost? Yeah, we have one of those.
          Besides the frenzy of cleaning house, I'm still working at the dental office. It's a bit stressful; the other girls who work there are pretty catty and gossipy. I'm not equipped to deal with this. I've never encountered or dealt with vindictive-female behavior, not even in middle school. So it's been an adjustment.
          On the other hand, I know a lot about teeth, now. Floss, you guys! I had to help clean a kid's teeth today that were - no joke - brown and black and fuzzy. Don't be that kid.

          I've been neglecting the job hunt, which is intensely stupid of me, seeing as I will soon be homeless (thanks, Becky's parents, for agreeing to take me in for a while) and this dental assisting salary puts me roughly five thousand dollars below the annual income officially defined as the poverty level.
          Becky keeps telling me to move to Canada. "You're the most Canadian person ever; you would totally fit in in Canada," she says. I think it's part of her plot to become friends with Kate Beaton and Ryan North. (Which, admittedly, would be totally. freaking. awesome.)
          It could be interesting. Something I'll have to mull over for a while.

          Currently, I'm looking forward to several things:
          - I might see Cinematic Titanic.
          - One of my close friends is getting married! To another one of my good friends.
          - I get to see my boyfriend for his birthday! It's hopelessly cheesy, but, seriously, this fact makes my day every time I think about it.

          So that's about it. I'm pretty much just cruising right now - being more irresponsible than I should. Gotta step it up.
          Ready, set -

2 comments:

Becky Robison said...

Um, well, I honestly do think you seem super Canadian. But, as you point out, being friends with Kate Beaton and Ryan North would be freakishly awesome.

jenna said...

Gotta say, you *would* totally fit in in Canada. Perhaps I would too. Vancouver seems sweet. We could start some sort of project/store/blog/reality tv show called "The Couv."

And climb glaciers and hang out with bears and stuff.

Post a Comment