Friday, 15 July 2011

Writing and stuff

I just submitted a story to the Machine of Death, vol. 2.  I'm not very happy with it, but the deadline is today.  Even if they reject it, that's okay, because I'm glad I was able to dust off an old story and actually do something interesting with it.  I'll keep editing and maybe include it in a manuscript.  I gotta start pitching my stories places.

The writing group I started a while back is going strong.  We've had some good discussions - it's a wide variety of writers.  Different genres, different skill levels.


On a completely unrelated note, this weekend I'll be seeing the final Harry Potter movie.  I am irrationally attached to all things Harry Potter.  I get disproportionately and unreasonably emotional about it.  It comes with having grown up with the series.  When Harry was 12, I was 12.  When Harry was 13, I was 13.  I went with my best friends to get the new books at midnight, and we'd stay up all night, reading as fast as we could.  We'd go to the movies on opening night, dressed up (except for Molly, who was too punk rock to do something so stupid).

Unforgivably, culpably lame?  Probably.  Oh, well.  Those books rule.

My friends went to see the last movie together last night, per tradition.  We skyped before they left for the movie theater, so they could show me their costumes (the Whomping Willow and Rita Skeeter, to name a couple).  It was great to see them, but left me feeling a little forlorn.

I'm glad I'm in Denver - it's a great city, perfect for me.  I love being near Nick, and my job is fantastic.  I'm close to an awesome bookstore, I'm volunteering at the science museum (which is basically across the street from my apartment).  And I don't feel cut off from my friends back in Chicago, for the most part.  But missing out on this shared, final milestone of childhood feels undeniably strange.  A little bit lonely.

Which is why I should give up being a writer and pursue mad scientistry, so I can build a teleporter.

1 comment:

jenna said...

did you LOVE hp7? gary and i saw it last night, finally. so good. i feel completely the same way about "growing up" with the series, and was trying to explain it to gw after the movie (he's only read the first book) - people of our exact age group are the only readers who will ever get to experience the series in the same way, as a serial, drawn out age appropriately. it blows my mind to think about 12-year-olds today starting the books and reading the whole series back to back.

xoxo

Post a Comment