Sunday, 11 May 2008

Trimming fat with a machete

          I've spent all day packing.
          I realize that I have a ton of shit. A fuck ton (which, I think, should be an official unit of measurement).
          I feel guilty about this. I never thought of myself as someone with a lot of ... stuff ... just lying around. I'm not really a stuff kind of person. Materialism was never my thing.
          At least, I never thought it was. I mean, I knew I had a lot of stuff (hence the last paragraph of the last post), but I didn't realize quite how much. It catapults well beyond the bounds of ridiculous excess.

          So tonight, I'm going to go through every box I've packed and mercilessly get rid of half the contents. Seriously. I really dislike the looks of my life, sprawled across half a hallway and the entire floor of my room.
          How did this happen? When did this happen?
          My mother is a sentimentalist - she holds onto everything for the memory it represents. Everything. She kept my old stuffed animals in a box in the basement until I was nineteen, and would have held onto them forever had I not insisted she put them in a garage sale. I'm not as bad as she is, but I still get misty eyed over really pointless things.
          But, right now, I'm feeling ruthless.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

Thanks for the link to that site... In my rush to find a writing related job I could brag to my family about I forgot that I really want to write and draw things. I'm going to see what I can get on paper and then send them some stuff.

I find I can't ever get rid of books. Everything else I can rationalize tossing, usually on the grounds of "not fitting right", but I feel like I'm going to need books at some point, no matter how stupid those books actually are.

jenna said...

I think pack-rat-ness is bi-generational, but everyone is a little sentimental. Kyle hits it on the head with the book thing - I can't get rid of them either. Sophomore year I ended up buying 15 volumes of a set of encyclopedia to prevent them being gutted for a play set. It's an illness sometimes.

How goes the packing?

Anonymous said...

It's actually funny that you should write this, because Becky and I brought your mom some flowers for mother's day, and she started talking about how you don't want to keep anything. She was just like, "Oh, she just wants to toss all of it away! It's so sad..." And I was like aww. You're cute, Mama Dos.

In other news, I miss you. Please come to me!

Molly

Post a Comment