Wednesday, 14 January 2009

certain beautiful failings

          There was a power failure tonight. It only lasted for a few minutes, but there was still that rush of excitement. My friends and I, before the lights came back on, made plans to play board games (which we still did) by flashlight. With the power out, you get the license to be a little ridiculous, to be a little juvenile - all our technologically driven responsibilities evaporate, and we have nothing better to do with our time than to play. Everything becomes a little bit daring; even something as mundane as using the stairs becomes adventurous.
          For those few minutes, it felt like the power outage two years ago - hours of darkness, the secret and thrilling sense of adventure, camaraderie, excitement. We come to life, running around in the dark without care or obligation.
          I wish this one had lasted longer.

1 comment:

Becky Robison said...

That sounds really cool. I want to play board games in the dark. Today I saw a tiny child in a bucket. He was really cute.

Yeah.

Love!

Post a Comment