Yesterday, I dug out the family's old two-disc Queen's Greatest Hits collection and ripped it to my computer. Nice! I am pleased. I have listened to Fat Bottomed Girls and Under Pressure and Don't Stop Me Now and You're My Best Friend almost nonstop since then. Whatever, I need not give excuses. Those songs are premium.
          I've been noticing lately that I've been bland. Neutral. I don't have moods; I start out blank and then put on different moods semi-consciously. Excitement, depression, loneliness, cheerfulness, whatever. It's weird. I'm not sure why this is, what's causing it. I think I just need more people around. Maybe.
          I did get to see Drew today, and his girlfriend Kate. We went out to dinner, talked, laughed, drank margaritas. It was brief, but almost perfect. I always forget how much I enjoy hanging out with him.
          This break, I've managed to read a couple new books. The first one was Nation, by Terry Pratchett. It was, as always, spectacular. This one was set in history, rather than on Discworld. It dealt with heavy themes. Loss, death, belief, loneliness, anger, faith, strength, responsibility. It didn't have many of Pratchett's typical verbal slapstick jokes. It was made mostly of the kind of passages that characterize the powerful, moving parts of his more recent Discworld novels. Really fantastic, actually. It was imaginative and touching.
          The other was The City of Dreaming Books, by Walter Moers. It was entertaining. Definitely inventive. Charming. I was impressed by the solidity of the world Moers created - it was completely implausible, but I was willingly convinced.
          I'm working on Stranger Things Happen, by Kelly Link. It does not disappoint. I am constantly floored by her creativity. Each story is one giant non sequitor. Fantastic.
          I don't know why I always feel the need to assign things value judgements. Fantastic. Spectacular. Great. Awesome. Habit, I guess.
          The other morning, I had a very upsetting dream in which, for some reason or another, my teeth crumbled. Some of them fell out, some of them exploded, some of them were twisted and loose but still attached - so I was left with a mouthful of blood, teeth, and tiny bone fragments. All bitter and salty and coppery and gritty. The teeth skritched against one another in my mouth, and the tooth-slivers got stuck under my tongue, between my gums and cheeks, kept squeaking against the teeth I still had when I bit down. It was ... one of the most horrifying dreams I've had. I read somewhere that dreaming about losing your teeth signifies feeling like you've lost strength or power. I have no idea what your teeth exploding is supposed to symbolize.
4 comments:
I've had the teeth falling out dream too! Mine was a little less...explosive and usually involved me just sort of feeling around in my mouth and finding out that my teeth are loose and crumbling out. I think mine is based on my real-life experiences. I have no excuse for you. But I think it makes a good case for our parallel lives thing. Enjoy the tooth-splosion.
Um that sounds like a hugely creepy dream. I hope I never ever have a dream like that. I hope you never have a dream like that again. Gross. Love!
One of my favorite novelists is Pamela Ball, and I ordered a book by her called "On Dreams and Dreaming," thinking it was a new novel. It's actually an 800-page dream internpretation book. And I'm not sure it's by the same Pamela Ball. I kind of hope not. Here's what she wrote under "Teeth falling or coming out easily":
"Indicates that we are aware of going through some form of transition, similar to that from childhood to maturity, or from maturity to old age and helplessness. If one is anxious about teeth dropping out it suggests there is fear of getting old or undesirable or an anxiety about maturing."
Interesting, no?
You should do color week with me!
http://spirographs.blogspot.com/2009/01/color-is-joy-one-does-not-think-joy-one.html
Post a Comment