Tuesday, 5 May 2009

nearly there!

          Chipping away at my work. There's not much left. By 3:30 tomorrow afternoon, I'll be done with college schoolwork. For good.
          Weird.
          It's hard to believe - I keep thinking back to my freshman year. It doesn't seem like it's been four years. I know everyone feels this way. But really - what?
          I have to start packing up. I'm actually looking forward to going through everything I've accumulated over the years. I'm looking forward to throwing half of it away. I have so much stuff. It's astonishing, really. Even after this summer's weed-thinning. So much! I'm going to try to adopt minimalism, which, in my vocabulary, means a moderate (rather than exorbitant) amount of junk.
          It'll be ... this sounds ridiculous, but I have the feeling it'll be cleansing. A good way to let go of the ties I've made with this place. You know. A good way to feel better about leaving. There's a lot keeping me here already.
          Let me tell you, this closure has moved in quickly - the same way a wave looks slow, like it's almost at a standstill, until suddenly it curls over and splashes onto the shore at the very last second; all that movement and change crammed into the very end after what seems like decades of slow, static non-motion.
          That's what it feels like.
          A bit unnerving. But exhilarating, too. Right now, I'm feeling a little adventurous.
          I've decided that I'm going to do whatever. I'll take a deadend job, something mindless or something awesome, anything. I just want to start paying off some of that debt, want to have time and energy when I come home, want to feel what it's like to be aware of living a new chapter of life. In this economy, I'm not going to worry about landing a high-powered job. I just want something to keep food in the fridge and the lights running so I can write and explore and breathe.
          Take it as it comes. Yeah! Bring it! Come on!

1 comment:

Becky Robison said...

The future's so bright, you have to wear shades. :-)

I love you! Yay for being done with college! You are awesome!

Post a Comment