Monday, 28 June 2010

Hello, Monday

          I'm sitting at a desk, filling in for the receptionist (who's gone home with a sore throat and no voice) at the temp agency I've been using to find work.  Unusual.
          I also found out today that I'm the top candidate for one of the jobs I interviewed for - so that's exciting!  It seems like a great job; I especially like the environment at the office.  It's laid back and friendly; the founder and owner of the company knows the warehouse guys by first name.  I don't wanna jinx it, but I really hope I get the job.

Things about Denver  I'm getting used to (yes, preposition at the end):
  • Driving on hills
  • The weather (and learning to predict it)
  • Distances (everything here is farther apart than they are in the Midwest)
  • Thin air and the correspondingly more intense sunlight
  • Really hot summer days
  • Abrupt summer afternoon thunderstorms
  • Low humidity (dryer sheets are crucial, standing in the shade actually works)
  • Hail does not mean there will be a tornado (goodbye, tornado alley!)
  • King Soopers, not Jewel or Hy-Vee
  • Right-turn-yield-lanes, instead of right-turn-on-reds
  • Going on dates because I'm not 1,000+ miles away :)
Things I've done recently:
  • Went mini-golfing
  • Saw Toy Story 3 (sweet, nostalgic, made me feel old)
  • Listened to a heated and lengthy but friendly debate about the standing political structure
  • Had steak and potatoes and unexpected onion rings
  • Found a dozen donuts for $1.75 - proceeded to eat four
  • Discovered Dead Like Me
  • Watched The Losers (which was entertaining)
  • Bought The Children of Hurin and The Inferno for a total of $10
  • Had a picnic with homemade chicken salad sandwiches
          Despite the uncertainty of looking for a job and not having my own place, life is pretty good right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment