Sunday, 5 October 2008

Time and more

          Nothing much to report.
          I've watched several animated adventure movies (as the bootlegged DVD calls them; they're all on one poor-quality disc) in the past few days, which should probably be considered deeply embarrassing, but I'm okay with it. The Emperor's New Groove is the only one of the bunch that needs no excuses. Hercules is painfully inaccurate and screams low budget. Atlantis is straight up awful, and The Road to El Dorado is so implausible that even the willful suspension of disbelief can't save it. I'm in the middle of Treasure Island and it's ... let's go with "cute."
          Nonetheless, I'm entertained. Which probably says more about the state of my life as of late than I'd like to admit.

          Or maybe not.

          Oh, man. The first thesis colloquium is coming up. Soon. "Hi, I'm Leta, and I have nothing to talk about today. Any questions?"
          It'll be great.
          Writing is so easy for some people. I know a kid who cranks out stories like he's breathing. And they're good. He showed me one the other day, three pages of stream-of-conscious prose that put you on edge and had you twisting your mouth into an uncomfortable smile, and he says offhand, "Yeah, I wrote it last night in about an hour before I went to bed."
          I'm gonna strangle his skinny neck one of these days.
          I guess writing isn't really difficult for me. Language is not a problem; I can articulate myself well for the most part. It's the ideas that trip me up. I get to thinking too hard about a story, trap myself into nonexistent corners - I mean, it's fiction, you can write yourself out of anything. But I get wrapped up in details. I don't know where to take a story.
          But I have to figure out something soon, I guess. No more bitching about the thesis.

- Next song to learn:
          Over the Rainbow (the ukulele version). Premium.
- Next book to read:
          Birds of America, by Lorrie Moore.
- Next personal task:
          Develop better taste in, oh man, a lot of things.
- Next movie to rent:
          The Savages. The library finally has it. Nice.
- Next project:
          Actually start up Soup Club with Ezra at some point. Also, buy fondue forks.
- Next outing:
          Orchard. Hello, freshly pressed apple cider.


          I just want to say here that I'm really looking forward to next semester. I will actually have time to do aforesaid things. My life will hold so much more pleasure and far less stress. It'll be beautiful.

3 comments:

Becky Robison said...

I totally know how you feel. I have a progress update for my Ricci Project today, and I feel like I totally haven't gotten anything done.
Yuck. I want to go to an orchard! But I don't think that's such a big thing in Italy, so...yeah. No apple cider for me.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you to be stress-free.

And now I really want apple cider. Damm.

I love you.

Moo

Anonymous said...

And by "damm", I obviously mean "damn". It's just that I suck a little.

Post a Comment