Thursday, 13 November 2008

it ain't a competition, baby, if no one else will race

          I'm getting a little tired of people who feel the need to one-up everyone.

          In other news, I did very little in terms of being productive today. I feel a little badly about it, but mostly I'm okay with it. After my last class today, as I was walking back to the dorm, I realized that I was shaking. The muscles in my shoulders and hands kept vibrating. It wasn't a hyper, caffeine-buzz kind of shaking. It felt like the kind of weak shaking you get when you're exhausted, or when you have the flu. But I wasn't exhausted, and I don't have the flu. So that was weird. But that's when I decided to take the evening to relax.
          So I read some webcomics, drank soy milk, went to Dave's (where he served me some chicken pot pie and we talked and listened to Billie Holiday), and watched some Lord of the Rings with Brian.
          It was a good, if incredibly nerdy, evening.
          One thing Dave and I were talking about was fights. It's occurred to me that I have never been in a screaming match with anyone. Ever. I don't think I've ever even yelled at anyone. I can't remember a single instance. I guess that's a good thing. Or maybe it's creepy. But it's not because I bottle up my emotions (as most people who know me can attest to - I'm a heart on the sleeve kind of person). I've just never been upset enough to scream at someone. It doesn't seem effective or helpful. Nothing's really been that bad.
          Well, yeah, that, and I'm the most non-confrontational person I know. Probably a lot of things don't bother me that should. It's also absurdly easy for people to make me feel badly about myself (which is passive), when really, I should defend myself (which is active) and, maybe, get angry.
          I guess I should work on that.

          "Don't understand - demand!"

4 comments:

Becky Robison said...

I hope you're ok! Don't get too stressed out. I have alot of stuff to do too, but I'm just trying to not let it get to me like it normally does. We'll both get everything done. We always do. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you've never screamed at anyone...whereas I can remember more of those occasions than I can count. If we were made into one person, we would probably be really rational and good at arguing our points. We should get on that.

I miss you.

Moo

Leta said...

Molly, are you suggesting we have a test-tube-baby-love-child? Oh, man. We already lead freakishly parallel lives. I think if we were made into one person it'd end up collapsing the universe or disrupting the flow of time or something.

Sounds fun. Let's do it. Know any mad scientists?

meagan said...

re: "I'm getting a little tired of people who feel the need to one-up everyone."

That's one of the reasons I was not-sad to leave Coe.

Post a Comment