Saturday, 23 August 2008

On an unrelated note, my next door neighbor has the voice of a nine-year-old girl, and I find it upsetting.

          My friend Patricia is a bitchin' artist.
          We decided to be really pretentious today, and went to the coffee shop across the street armed with pilfered bristol board and sat around drawing for a few hours.
          Patricia is not someone who would strike general passerby as the artsy type. She's an economics major, delights in graphs and charts and formulas, is viciously logical in the mathematical way. She's stealthily artistic.
          She drew me while I was drawing. Here is the result.

          I like it quite a lot. She drew me prettier, and made my slack-mouthed look of concentration something more like an endearing pout. I think a career in portraiture may be in order.
          I managed to put together a few sketches. They're mostly sloppy; a lot of graphite all over the paper and a few uncertain lines of black ballpoint wobbling around. One features a bicycle and a penny farthing facing each other at the bottom of the paper, and is titled, "I don't care! We love each other!" Which is a joke. It's funny. Because it's like one of them's really young, and the other one, the old-fashioned one with the giant wheel, it's like that one's really old ... and they love each other ... but it's frowned upon by society ... with ... with the age difference ... You - you can laugh now ....


          I'll be in the car.

3 comments:

Timmy Troubadour said...

it's like the film harold & maude. without the suicide. and they're innanimate objects.

i laughed.

Becky Robison said...

Oh I am laughing. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Ha...age difference...ha. You're amazing. It's funny because it actually did make me laugh.

I love you so much.

Moo

Post a Comment