Friday, 12 September 2008

My friends lead cinematic lives.

The story as Molly tells it:

          "So I had one of the most fucked experiences of my life today.
          "I decided to come home tonight to see my parents and my puppy, because I missed them. So, I jump on the train, and right as we pull out of the station, Becky calls me. I'm super psyched, so we start talking.
          "I'm well aware that I'm on a train, so I make sure to keep my voice down, to keep the swearing at a minimum, etc. All of a sudden, this guy sitting at least four rows behind me, comes up to me with a look of disdain, and goes, 'Excuse me, are you planning on doing this the entire ride home? Let me put this nicely: wrap it up.' He gives me the dirtiest look ever and walks back to his seat. This guy is at least fifty years old. What. A. Douche.
          "So I apologize to Becky, who is alone in a foreign country, and hang up the phone. I turn back to the guy and I say, 'Look, my sister is in Rome, we don't get to talk much, I'm really sorry, but...' and before I get to finish my sentence, he gives me another dirty look and says, 'Oh, that's fine, hun.' He fucking called me hun. I almost flipped a shit on this guy.
          "So then I start crying. A lot. Because I am so sickened that this guy is such a dick and so sad that Becky is alone and unhappy and I had to hang up on her.
          "However, there is a good part of this story: there was a guy sitting next to me on the train. Hispanic, probably in his early thirties. He looks at me and says, 'Hey, don't worry about that guy. He's just a jerk. Ignore him.' And he proceeds to talk to me until I'm distracted enough to stop crying. We talked about school, jobs, and the fact that we both have adorable tiny puppies. He was so nice, and I wish I could thank him again for helping me after that guy was such a douche.
          "When I stood up for my stop, the guy said, 'For future reference, don't let anyone make you cry again. You're a nice girl, and you should stand up for yourself from now on. Don't let anyone get you down.'
          "I don't even know his name, but he seriously made my day so much better."

3 comments:

Kyle said...

I don't get why people hate telephone conversations so much. I can see hating them if they're the one on the phone, because maybe they're not very interesting people, but I don't get why everyone seems to hate hearing people on a cell phone. More to the point, I don't get why people hate cell phone conversations but seem perfectly docile if you're talking to someone in the room. Maybe it's easier to intimidate one person than two people... maybe old people just hate cell phones.

Anonymous said...

When my words are posted on your blog, it only intensifies the reality that I suck at telling stories, and you are an incredible writer :)

I miss you.

I love you.

Moo.

meagan said...

see: my post on reverse ageism. An old lady yelled at me over a month ago now and I'm still stewing about it. I always think of really good comebacks later. Also, the person sitting next to your friend sounds amazing and I want to marry him.

Post a Comment