Sunday, 7 September 2008

The really huge chasm between perception and reality

          I've been writing so much music lately!
          I guess I should be writing thesis ...

          It's recently been brought to my attention that I've become a topic of discussion among my friends. Supposedly I'm in love with another of our friends, which of course is a subject that always generates a lot of interest.
          I mentioned this to him while we were walking across campus - I'm not sure if he knew about the rumors, but I can't imagine that he was oblivious - I think he felt awkward, but what the hell. I'm comfortable enough to laugh and bitch about it; there's not much point in feeling weird over it. It's not a big deal (but ... I admit that I'm secretly sort of gratified by the knowledge that this rumor is something interesting enough to talk about ... still irritating, though).
          Patricia pointed out certain actions of mine that have contributed to this theory. It had honestly never occurred to me that they could be interpreted that way, mostly because I wasn't thinking about it that way; the possibility of liking him is so far out of the realm of possibility that it has no bearing on my day to day thoughts and decisions. And I realize that sometimes I forget that people make assumptions based on observations, erroneous assumptions that nonetheless become ironclad in people's heads.
          It's weird to think that my friends are convinced of my infatuation, when I am equally convinced of its nonexistence.
          I love misinterpretation.
          I realize that there's nothing I can do to persuade my friends otherwise. Any and all attempts to dispel their theory will be taken rather as confirmation of their suspicions.
          It's always discomfiting to find out that people talk about you. Even if its not malicious.
          Whatever. I guess I'm fine enough with providing entertainment to the masses. Gossip: the soap opera that never gets old.
          To be completely honest, the thing that bothers me most about this apparently widely-held rumor is that it could prevent actual romantic prospects from moving in. Not that there are any; let's not sugar coat the state of the playing field here on campus, or, indeed, my own nugatory charms. However - if there were, this stupid gossip would probably shoot down any overtures someone might make.

          Anyway, at this point I'm too tired to worry about any of this, let alone getting pissed off by the culpable, misguided hive mind of my fellows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's super awkward of your friends...which friend is this, that you're apparently in love with? Actually, if your friends are good people (and I assume they are) you should tell them that you are, in fact, NOT in love with said person, and they should believe you instead of thinking that you're lying just to kill the rumor.
I love you.

Moo

The CWC said...

wc post info received. this week's post = done and done.

The CWC said...

whoops, forgot to log out. --jenna

Becky Robison said...

I always wonder whether or not people talk about me behind my back. I mean, it seems that they probably must, at least for a little. I think that all people probably discuss others behind their backs. Not necessarily in a malicious way, but simply because they all know that person, and so they share a common interest in that person's life. I don't know though. I think you're very lucky to have found out.

Post a Comment