Saturday, 26 July 2008

"asymmetric, imperfect, unbalanced"

          I've been struck, recently, with this weird affection for everything around me. The cooler weather. The long shadows in the afternoon. Movies - good, bad, and always nostalgic (Wayne's World, Father of the Bride, My Best Friend's Wedding). Laughing until my throat is raw and my stomach hurts. Conversations out on the steps, sitting there long enough for my ass to start hurting. The people I'm with. The other day was overcast and grey, with autumn chill and the smell of rain in the air, and it was exactly right, flawless in its imperfection.
          I think life is compensating for the panic attacks it keeps throwing at me. Making the days loud and fresh and round to make up for the flat, shaken nights. All the unwanted fear and anxiety turns into this unimpeded fondness for the world in general come sunrise.

          I want stability back - stability, calm and boring, and a maybe little bland ...   But sometimes I think I'd put up with the lows in order to have these golden afternoons.

2 comments:

meagan said...

I LOVE Wayne's World. I have both 1 and 2 on VHS and am quite partial to 2, mostly because of Del Preston and also because of the appearance of Charlton Heston near the end. And I can't ignore my never ending love for Christopher Walken, even if he does play a bad guy. But 1 has it's good parts, like the Alice Cooper cameo and just that it's the first one in the series in general.

ANYWAY, I could go on forever. I used to watch Wayne's World every day when I was getting ready for class (used to watch CNN but it was too depressing). It never gets old.

I will leave you with this -

"I was in a place like this once! Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon. It was about three o'clock in the morning and I had to find 1,000 brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass or Ozzy wouldn't go onstage that night. So Jeff Beck pops his head in and says there's a little sweet shop around the corner. So it's me and Keith Moon and David Crosby breaking into this little sweet shop. Well instead of a guard dog, they've got this great big bloddy Bengal tiger. Well, I manage to take out the tiger with a can of mace. But the shopkeeper and his son, well that was a different story all together. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business really. But - we got the M&Ms and Ozzy played a great show."

woot!

meagan said...

(Sorry, I'm doing this from memory)

I just remembered - after "So Jeff Beck pops his head in and says there's a little sweet shop around the corner."

he goes - "So - we go. And - it's closed."

lol

Post a Comment